Mouth of the South
About “Mouth of the South”
“Mouth of the South” is the annual AAF District 7 lip-sync competition. Since beginning in 1985, the “Mouth of the South” competition has become one of the District 7’s most anticipated annual events. Held each year at the District’s summer Leadership Conference, “Mouth of the South” provides an opportunity for member clubs to compete against one another in an “almost anything goes” exhibition of showmanship and creativity. It is also THE most entertaining event of each District 7 year. “Mouth of the South” is a highly competitive contest among District clubs and the annual title is a greatly coveted distinction.In order to make the competition equitable for all participating clubs, the following rules and regulations must be adhered to by all entrants.
“Mouth of the South” Winners
- 1985 Advertising Club of New Orleans
- 1986 Golden Triangle Advertising Federation
- 1987 Huntsville Advertising Federation
- 1988 Memphis Advertising Federation
- 1989 Memphis Advertising Federation
- 1990 Advertising Federation of Greater Baton Rouge
- 1991 Huntsville Advertising Federation
- 1992 Advertising Federation of Greater Mobile
- 1993 Advertising Federation of Greater Baton Rouge
- 1994 Memphis Advertising Federation
- 1995 Jackson Advertising Federation
- 1996 Chattanooga Advertising Federation
- 1997 Advertising Federation of Greater Baton Rouge
- 1998 Acadiana Advertising Federation
- 1999 Acadiana Advertising Federation
- 2000 Advertising Federation of Greater Baton Rouge
- 2001 Acadiana Advertising Federation
- 2002 Advertising Federation of Greater Baton Rouge
- 2003 Mississippi Gulf Coast Advertising Federation
- 2004 Mississippi Gulf Coast Advertising Federation
- 2005 Birmingham Advertising Federation
- 2006 Mississippi Gulf Coast Advertising Federation/ Advertising Club of New Orleans
- 2007 AAF Mississippi Gulf Coast
- 2008 AAF Chattanooga
- 2009 AAF Baton Rouge
- 2010 AAF Baton Rouge
- 2011 AAF Nashville
- 2012 AAF Mississippi Gulf Coast
- 2013 AAF Birmingham
- 2014 AAF Birmingham
- 2015 AAF Baton Rouge
- 2016 AAF North Alabama
- 2017 AAF Northeast Tennessee
- 2018 AAF Memphis
Title Selection and Elegibility
1. Each club can reserve one signature song title that no other entrant may use in whole or in part. Parts of other songs may be used by more than one club as long as it’s not another club’s signature song. Song titles must be reserved in advance through a designated person from the host club. Signature titles will be approved for only the first club requesting the title.
2. The host club may not compete. They may participate, however, by presenting an exhibition performance.
3. Presentations may not exceed five (5) minutes. Material longer than five (5) minutes in its original form must be edited to conform. The host club will provide an official timekeeper who will stop the CD at five minutes if the performance is not complete.
4. Segments of more than one title may be edited together as long as the total time of the presentation does not exceed five (5) minutes.
5. Recording of original lyrics and/or music is allowed.
6. A spoken introduction (voice only), not to exceed thirty seconds (:30), will be allowed prior to each presentation. Introduction may be written for delivery by the Master of Ceremonies, or delivered by any person designated by the competing club. Introduction must be LIVE. No music will be allowed during the introduction unless the introduction is to be included within the five minute MOS presentation.
7. The order of presentation shall be determined by random drawing in the presence of a representative of each competing club prior to noon on the day of the competition at a time and place designated by the host club.
8. Each participating club will provide two (2) standard CD’s of their presentation to the MOS Chairperson at the time that the drawing for order of presentation is held.
9. Stage dimensions and lighting availability shall be supplied to competing clubs by the host club at the time that titles are reserved. If possible, the host club shall provide a schematic drawing of the stage which shall include stairs, curtains, etc.
10. Male and Female dressing areas shall be provided at the site of the competition by the host club.
11. A staging area for the next scheduled performers shall be provided either behind the stage, on the offstage wings, or adjacent to the stage. This staging area shall be obscured from the view of the audience by screens or curtains, if at all possible.
12. A single spotlight may be provided by host club at the presentation site. A spotlight operator may be supplied by each competing club. Any additional lighting, special effects or props must be supplied by the competing club.
13. There shall be no budget limitation on clubs for costuming, lighting, special effects or props.
14. All elements of each performance, except the CD, shall be live. Specifically, the use of video, slides, rear screen projections and computer generated visuals is prohibited.
15. Voting shall be limited to members in good standing of AAF District 7 clubs who are registered for the conference. Standard, uniform ballots (sample herewith) shall be distributed at the site of the competition to registered attendees with name badges. Competing clubs shall be listed on the ballot in the order of performance by club name and performance title. To be counted, ballots must include a vote for first, second and third place…ballots without vote for all three places will be disqualified
16. Voters are encouraged to consider lip sync, creativity and performance in the ranking of presentations.
17. Voters shall rank only their three top performances, ranking the one they consider to be best as “1”, second best as “2”, and third best as “3”.
18. Votes shall be tabulated with the host club chair, the Governor or another District officer or referee as designated by the Governor.
19. Votes shall be tabulated with the following point values: 1st – 25 points; 2nd – 15 points; 3rd – 10 point.
Mouth of the South Competition
Please vote for THREE of the competing teams in the order you think they should rank.
YOU MUST VOTE FOR ALL THREE PLACES.
First Choice __________________________ (25 Points)
Second Choice _______________________ (15 Points)
Third Choice _________________________ (10 Points)
The team with the highest total points will be this year’s MOS Champion.
(Underneath the above copy should be the list
of competing teams for reference.)